Monday, March 12, 2007

Return to the Throne


Back in the mid 90's, the Ottawa citizen used to have a section called "High Priority" showcasing student writers, poets, and, cartoonists. Upon hearing they were paying 50 clams to whomever's material they printed, my post-college, beer-craving-intellect went into overdrive. Although having moderate success in getting some "toons" published under my new (younger) Alias, I remember there was this one other cartoonist who was consistently getting printed week after week. This guy was killing me in the polls (and seriously cutting into my beer profits). Eventually, the Citizen dropped the section altogether, but not before my old foe managed to get himself syndicated in the Sunday color comix page. 15 years later, low and behold, I was sitting right next to my old nemesis at Amberwood Studios. This dastardly villain's name: ANDY KING !!
Well, it didn't take long to find out about our run-in on the pages of "High Priority" and Andy turned out to be one funny guy to work with, and inspired me to get back into cartooning again. This particular cartoon never got published, but was one that the editor kept on her bulletin board. Upon a surprise visit from me, I asked her why she had never published it ( and more importantly, never given me another fifty bones). She told me "yehhh... sorry, but we just can't print a cartoon of a guy sitting on the can...funny though!". Mystery solved.

9 comments:

Rob A. said...

These are great dude!. Keep em coming!

Suzanne Marsden said...

I love your comics Terry; they're so much fun :-) Great story about Andy King and the High Priority show down too!

Keep 'em coming dude :-)
((hugs))
Suzanne.

Troy Little said...

Hey Terry ma boy! That's a funny Shit.

Terry said...

Hey guys and gals,

Thanx for all the nice comments; your far too kind...far too kind. I just finished up at Mercury this week so I should have lots more time to post some new material (just as soon as I sober up). Stay tuned folks:-).

Troy Little said...

Sober up?

Well, so much for THIS blog.

Terry said...

My god your right,Troy (what was I think'n? ). I do my best work on the soup. That settles it, I'm going out to get a shortcase ( or as they call it in newfoundland, a "one-two").

Unknown said...

Terry!???
Is that really you?

I was going to put "O'reilly you" but then I thought that was lame....brilliant but lame nonetheless...

Terry said...

Hiya Nick,

It is indeed o'really me. Thanx for adding me to your links ( I appreciate the extra traffic)...now if I can just get Troy on board, I can start selling some mugs.

Tobias Schwarz said...

new to planet terry, but some funny stuff here!